A small farming village located three miles to the west of Fyvie. Although the local economy is based primarily on farming recent expansion has seen Rothienorman transformed from a quiet farming village into a dormitory town.
Rothienorman Castle became Rothienorman House and then Rothie House. It was subjected to major rebuilding c.1800 and was baronialised 1862 (architect James Mathews ). c.1912 it was owned by Reginald Crawford-Leslie whose family home it was until just after WW2. It belonged to the Crawford family and Henry Nigel Crawford was the last laird of Rothienorman succeeding his brother Jock who was killed in action. The estate consisted of 2,700 acres (11 km2), including the village of Rothienorman. The family name used to be Leslie, became Crawford-Leslie and was then shortened to Crawford. The Leslie family purchased Rothienorman in 1783. The Crawfords had to sell Rothie in 1951 because of death duties incurred during the war. The estate was broken up and the house was stripped by land agents for quick money. The surviving Crawfords now live in New Zealand. The house was still occupied in 1945 but the roof was removed the house is now overgrown with ivy and is in a bad state of repair.
Rothienorman was on the Inveramsey – MacDuff Branch Railway which opened in 1857 and closed to passengers in 1951